While there’s no limit on how much you can spend on golf, you don’t have to cash in your kids’ college fund to become a respectable golfer, to have a good time, and to get some regular exercise. Here are some ways to make a modest budget go further:
- Used golf clubs. A variety of used golf clubs are available at a fraction of the cost of new clubs. But, beware! Just as when buying a used car, you can be buying another person’s mistake. Get advice from a trusted golf professional who isn’t profiting from the sale. With a little effort, you may find yourself with a five year old set of clubs that were among the best available when they were new – and that will in no way limit your growth as a golfer.
- Public courses. Austin Parks and Recreation operates some beautiful courses around town with very affordable rates. Sunset rates are an even better bargain. On a beautiful Texas evening, when the wildlife starts to appear on the course, you’ll wonder why it costs so little.
- Pull carts. Electric cart rental can be a big part of the cost of a round of golf. Pull carts are welcome at every public course. They can be purchased new or used, and can pay for themselves after only a few rounds. And, your doctor will definitely approve of the exercise you’re getting.
- Affordable attire. You don’t need to invest in a new wardrobe to take up golf. A polo-style shirt with a collar, a nice pair of khaki shorts, and – until you get around to buying golf shoes – a pair of tennis shoes, and you’ll fit right in at any public course. And, this attire is gender neutral.
- Golf classes. Consider golf classes or a shared golf lesson as an alternative to private lessons. With the right instructor, you’ll be amazed at how much you learn and how much it will add to your enjoyment of the game.
- Gadgets. Don’t waste your limited budget on the various golf gadgets and gimmicks advertised on TV infomercials with claims of improving your score. Your money is best spent on the basics: getting the right set of clubs and instruction on how to use them.